My favorite priest, layperson, breathing saint or organization
As the Executive Director of the Religious Formation Conference, Sister Violet Grennan of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters is a dynamo of energy and enthusiasm. The purpose of the Conference is to enrich Catholic religious women and men by helping them to gain new knowledge and skills in their pastoral ministries. She is benefiting us Joyful Catholic by endowing our spiritual guides with fresh and effective tools. Sister Violet, we love you!
Now, tell me about your favorite Catholic priest, layperson or organization that is making a difference.
Last week, the winner of the autographed copy of Light Reading for Good and Wayward Catholic is Susan Fox in New Orleans. Here are the answers:
- The sons of Jebedee whom Jesus nicknamed “Sons of Thunder” were James and John.
- 130 is the maximum number of Cardinals permitted to elect a
(Comment, I wish the maximum age were 50.)
- The patron saints of farmers is Isidore.
- Commenting on the U.S, Conference of Catholic Bishops publication of “Setting the Record Straight,” Commonweal magazine said, “If the authors of this publication wish to seize a ‘new opportunity for the Catholic community to come together in defense of human life,’ they can start by not questioning the motives of those Catholics who disagree with them about how best to interpret the provisions of the new health-insurance law. On questions such as this, disagreement should not be understood as a threat to unity, but as a sign of the church’s intellectual vitality.
“American bishops too often seem to fear that any acknowledgement of the complexity of the issue of the church’s teaching on abortion would weaken their own position.”
(Comment – AMEN!)
- Even though half of Catholic schools have closed since 1965, with a 20% drop in enrollment in the past ten years, Timothy Dolan, New York’s archbishop is working on a strategic initiative to save the Catholic schools in his archdiocese by co-operating closely with Catholic universities. This is in opposition to converting the schools into charter status (as in Washington, DC) and they no longer operate as religious establishments.
(Comment – Congratulations, Bishop Dolan, may other Catholic educators follow your lead.)
Once I was at vespers and was gazing at the cross. And while I was thus gazing at the cross with the eyes of the body, suddenly my soul was set ablaze with love; and every member of my body felt it with the greatest joy. The joy which seized my soul in this moment can in no way be spoken of. And in no way whatever can I be sad concerning the passion; on the contrary, my joy is in seeing this man, and to come to him. All my joy now is in this suffering God-man.
Blessed Angela of Foligno, who died in 1309, was a wife and mother, and later a Franciscan tertiary and mystical writer.
When you are going through hell, keep going.
A waitress in Atlantis, FL
It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
The avalanche of messages from “The Pope is Pregnant” blog deserves a whole blog of its own. They were both favorable and unfavorable, including a few threats. So, be patient until I put it together.
(a) grey hair
(b) hemorrhoids to give you a sorrowful look.
Special Intentions List
As you pray with a broad brush, please include these loved ones, who have been submitted by our readers. You, too, are invited to send me names of your special persons who are in need of prayer. My address is email@example.com. They will be on the list for 60 days. At the end of that time, if prayers are still needed, you merely have to renew the name.
Juanita Caldwell, Isola Todd, David Abbey, Amie Ellis,
Linwood “Skip” Williams, Gerry Paradiso, Tom Medved, Eileen Grotsky, Roseanne Somlock, Nicholas Gallagher, Tom Lewis, Donald Whitcomb, Violeta Zepeda, John Aylor, Rev. Joseph Marini, Enrique Portillo,
Sharon McPike, Tom Ryan, Joseph Normile, Jim Quimby, Russell Edwards,
Gertrude Goldstein, Rev. Stephen Huffstetter, Hugh Cannon, Eric Moore, Joan Barrett, 8-year-old Michael Fotta and his parents, Lolita Alvarez, Camilus Musselman, Jack Conner, Ed Block, Isobel Milligan,
Peter Bartkiewiez and his family, Joe Toles, Grace Toomey,
Camilus Musselman, Bob Kehlhofer, Ed Cole,Bishop Thomas Olmsted,
Rev. David Granfield, Mort Barron, Jay Parker
As you note, because of miraculous healings, several names have been deleted and added to our Deo Gratias list.