We do indeed need to show joy as Catholics. My motto — “Be happily and uncomplicatedly Catholic.”
Michael J. Sheehan, Archbishop of Santa Fe
Who will be the winner of the autographed copy of …
Send your answers to email@example.com
1. Who is the prophet from the 9th Century BC who is a Catholic saint?
2. How did the apostle James, the brother of John, die?
3. Who is the patron saint of the perfume trade?
My favorite priest
(Submitted by Marcia L. Castro)
My favorite priest is Father David Ross, who served at the Sacred Heart Parish in Toledo, Ohio. He was a very charismatic priest who revived an old parish. His reverence for the Mass and the Eucharist was always evident.
His gift of preaching made you want to come to church to hear the sermon. He had a beautiful singing voice and every Christmas and Mother’s Day he sang the Ave Maria. It was so beautiful that it brought tears to your eyes.
Father Dave was a wonderful confessor and I never felt uneasy going face-to-face confession to him. His penances were always so appropriate, and when he gave you absolution, it was as if God was laying his hands on your head and heart.
The parish school children loved him and were always waiting to give him a hug. He was sadly missed when he was transferred to a parish over 50 miles away. If only there were more priests like Father Dave, the churches would be vibrant and full!
Now, tell me about your favorite Catholic priest, layperson or organization that is making a difference
In his New York Times 8/8 article, G. Jeffrey MacDonald, a minister in the United Church of Christ said, “Clergy need parishioners who understand that the church exists, as it always has, to save souls by elevating people’s values and desires. They need churchgoers to ask for personal challenges in areas like daily devotions and outreach ministries.”
– USA-Today reported that Bobby Jindal, (the jackass governor of Louisiana) approved a law permitting guns in churches. However, the Catholic bishops said, “No siree. Not in our churches” (comment: I bet it increases the churches’ income when the usher has the collection plate in one hand and a pistol in the other)
– In the London Catholic Review, Dominic Scarborough, a layman from the south of England, wrote,”There is not a day that goes by tht I do not wakeup and question my faith in God and the Catholic Church. I struggle to reconcile certain teachings with what I am told by the secular world and I frequently lose heart in the ability of the Church to reform itself. Each and every day somehow this struggle receives a reward of grace and I renew my commitment to the totality of the Catholic faith.”
– From Mother Jones May-June, “In 2003, the predominantly Catholic Philippines bowed to church demand to support only natural family planning. Today more than half the pregnancies are unplanned. A study calculated that easy access to contraception would reduce these unwanted births by 800,000 and abortions by 500,000.”
There are qualities of Christ in all we serve; the young woman at an abortion clinic, the mentally ill and homeless man at the food pantry, the Latina who needs help fumigating her family’s one-room apartment. When we fail to recognize that, we fail him. Jesus, let me see you in everyone!
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
If temptation, darkness, or sadness come, we must act against them without allowing any bitterness, and wait impatience for the Lord’s consolation, which will evaporate all disturbances and shadows from outside.
Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1545)
Those fellows who wrote in the Lord’s Prayer “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” had no relatives.
Tony, my barber
Some UK Church signs:
– Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, and the snake didn’t have a leg to stand on.
– Down in the mouth? Come in for a faith lift.
– Speak well of your enemies. After all, you made them.
– Happy Easter to our Christian friends
Happy Passover to our Jewish friends
To our atheist friends, good luck.
– As you pass this little church, be sure to plan a
visit, so when at last you’re carried in, God won’t ask, “Who is it?”
Special Intentions List
As you pray with a broad brush, please include these loved ones, who have been submitted by our readers. You, too, are invited to send me names of your special persons who are in need of prayer. My address is firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be on the list for 60 days. At the end of that time, if prayers are still needed, you merely have to renew the name.
Juanita Caldwell, Isola Todd, David Abbey, Amie Ellis,
Linwood “Skip” Williams, Gerry Paradiso, Eileen Grotsky, Roseanne Somlock, Nicholas Gallagher, Tom Lewis, Donald Whitcomb, Violeta Zepeda, John Aylor, Rev. Joseph Marini, Enrique Portillo,
Sharon McPike, Tom Ryan, Joseph Normile, Jim Quimby, Russell Edwards,
Gertrude Goldstein, Rev. Stephen Huffstetter, Hugh Cannon, Eric Moore, Joan Barrett, 8-year-old Michael Fotta and his parents, Lolita Alvarez, Camilus Musselman, Jack Conner, Ed Block, Isobel Milligan,
Peter Bartkiewiez and his family, Joe Toles, Grace Toomey,
Camilus Musselman, Bob Kehlhofer, Ed Cole, Bishop Thomas Olmsted,
Jay Parker, D.D. Gavin Shipman
As you note, because of miraculous healings, several names have been deleted and added to our Deo Gratias list.