– In renovating Italy’s Reggio Emilia Cathedral, they discovered the bones of Saints Daria and Chrysanthus, who were killed in the 3rd century for proselytizing. (Comment: Things ain’t changed)
– More than 200 Catholic theologians have signed a statement calling on the United Statesto abolish capital punishment and asking the church to work unswervingly towards that goal.
– In the Diocese of Plymouth, UK, father-of-four Christopher Jarvis had the job of monitoring church groups to ensure pedophiles didn’t gain access to the children in the church’s congregation. Then the police discovered over 4,000 child porn images on his home computer. He was immediately suspended, and the Bishop is working closely with the police investigation.
(Every five minutes, a Christian is killed because of his or her faith)
Military forces in Myannar (Burma) broke into a Mass, shot at worshippers, beat one and detained five for forced labor. Then they burned the parish and a BaptistChurch.
I am pleased that the Seibo No Kishi Catholic Monthly in the Pilgrim Nagasaki Oura Church is now one of our readers. The role of this splendid publication is to spread the gospel of God throughout Japan.
My Favorite Priest, Layperson, Breathing Saint or Organization
Although he lived 407 years ago, Blessed Thomas Bosgrave deserves our admiration. On an early spring day in April, 1594, Queen Elizabeth’s officers of the Protestant regime arrested Father John Cornelius. As they were leading him away, the bystander Thomas Bosgrave stepped forward and put his own hat on the priest’s head, saying, “The honor I owe to your function will not allow me to see you go bareheaded.”
This simple act cost him his life, being charged with the felony of having aided and assisted a Catholic priest. With Father Cornelius and two other Catholics, he was executed.
Blessed Thomas, belatedly we salute you as being a gutsy and Joyful Catholic!
Now, tell me about your favorite Catholic priest, layperson or organization that is
making a difference firstname.lastname@example.org
– I don’t know why the Holy Father sent me here, But I do promise that no bishop will love the people and priests of this local church more than I will.”
Archbishop Charles Chaput, when recently assigned toPhiladelphia
– In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
– Persons are not known by intellect alone, not by principles alone, but only by love. It is when we love the other, the enemy, that we obtain from God the key to an understanding of who he is and who we are. It is only this realization that can open to us the real nature of our duty, and of right action.
– Some people like the Jews, and some do not. But no thoughtful man can deny the fact that they are, beyond any question, the more formidable and the most remarkable race which has appeared in the world.
– Some cause happiness wherever they go; other, whenever they go.
– Only those with courage and conviction will remain Catholic. Attractions are many and so many will love to yield to temporary pleasures and lead the life. When materialism takes hold, who will care for “Values”?
K C Thomas
– Can you tell me where I can find Fr. David Ross? I would like very much to get in touch with him! I knew him from St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Fremont, Ohio. He did more for me than he will ever know when I was a teenager. I am now 44 years old. I would like the chance to tell him!
Laura R. Walby
(reply: Laura, this special priest is now at St. Rose Catholic Church in Lima, Ohio. His e-mail is email@example.com and phone is 419-222-5512. I know he will be delighted to hear from you.)
– When I read about your having quizzed why someone had left the Church, I thought I would do the same with a couple, close friends, who were no longer practicing Catholics. To my surprise, they were pleased that I felt concern and invited me for coffee. After a lively and informative conversation, they asked if they could join me at Mass on Sunday. I hope many of your readers will also get this message – “Let your friends who have left the church know that you care.”
Father Marini waited in line to have his car filled with gas just before a long holiday weekend. At the gas station, there were many cars ahead of him. Finally, when motioning him toward a vacant pump, the attendant said, “I’m sorry, Father, about the delay. It seems that too many of my customer waits until the last minute to get ready for a long trip.”
Father Marini chuckled and said, “It’s the same in my business.”